Sunday, October 6, 2019

Introductory

         Hello, my name is Jack, I am a senior at Fort Lauderdale High School in Florida. For years I played competitive golf and I was on the varsity team until 11th grade when I had an accident and broke my hand. This sort of ruined the game for me, and I decided it was time for me to move on. Now, I am an avid fishermen and I live in the best spot in the world to be one too! South Florida is one of the most well known fishing spots in the world and people fly from other countries to drop a line here. Lucky for me, all this is in my backyard! Me and my two younger brother all fish in our free time, and we can often bond over the sport, even if we argue a little like brothers do. I also enjoy fishing for the calming sensations it can bring. There is just something so relaxing about being out there on the water watching the run rise with a breeze blowing into your face, its almost a vital part of my week. If I can't get out there at least once a week, I find myself struggling with everyday habits like sleeping, waking up, and school work. In a way, its almost medicinal and really helps calm me down.
        With this said, as a senior in high school, I often find myself with less and less free time to do things like fishing. One of these things is college applications. These are the most stressful things I have ever done. Who knew trying to go college could require so many documents, I think its kind of ridiculous. Sometimes I will fill them out for hours, and time never seems to move, and just when I think I'm done with one, there is a surprise essay or form I must fill out. The cycle never seems to end for me, but I do see how important going to college is, so I guess its worth it. Right now if I were asked where I would want to go to college, it would not be an ivy league or a school too far from home, it would be the University of Florida. Their school is exceptional to me for a few reasons, they are one of the few state schools with a pharmacy program, which is what I want to study. They also have a large student body, another thing I really prefer because I love a large atmosphere with lots of moving parts and things to do. However, if I don't get into UF, I would be just as ecstatic to go University of South Florida. They are not as big of a school, but they also have a pharmacy program and I could also really see myself having a ball going to school in Tampa.
             Another thing I think is really important to me is my work. I coincidentally work at a tackle shop down the street, and other than my dad, I think I have learned more from my boss than anyone else in the world. I have worked there for about a year and a half, and I pretty much run the shop. My boss has taught me so much about the industry, how to communicate, how to persuade a buyer, and how to make smart money. However, I think the most important thing I've gotten from the shop is my connections. These are very important to me because I plan on staying in South Florida and always fishing down here, so knowing I have reliable connections down here to people I can trust is a major benefit, all because of my boss. The amount of knowledge gained from working here has been immense, and I cannot imagine it any other way at this point. I really enjoy working there and it is going to be a sad last day when I have to go to college and part with all my friends from the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment